Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Honor Academy

God has a way of working things out for HIS GOOD! A few many years ago....in 1999-2001 I felt that God was leading me to go the Teen Mania Honor Academy. I applied and got accepted. I was very excited about this opportunity and was working on getting support for my year. I ended up meeting Josh and we ended up in Iowa. For the past 11 years I have been haunted by not going. I have felt shame and guilt. I have found out some things about Teen Mania and yes I know it's one sided but I am so grateful that I did not end up going. As I have read through a blog by a former Alumni she states that they basically run you ragged so you have to depend upon the Lord for strength. I believe the TM has some amazing opportunities but the method that is used may not be the best. I remember very clearly one of the interns who was my advisor telling how AMAZING ESOAL was and I was so excited to go that I could hardley wait! I knew it was a weekend retreat and it was optional and that you were pushed to the point of physical exhaustion and forced to reley on God. I understand this and to some extent think that is a good thing for some people. But at the same time what is that teaching? What if you physically can not make it through? Does that make you a bad person? Have you sined? No, we are all weak and through Jesus Christ HE makes us STRONG! So, would I recommend the HA to my kids......well.....I would have them check out this website and make their own desicion. And yes, I fully understand and know that thousands of teenagers go through the HA and come out a better person. I also fully understand that many go into full time ministry. Again I am not questioning their knowledge of the bible and the way they teach it. I am questioning their method.
www.recoveringalumni.com

No comments: