Thursday, April 25, 2013

Closing a chapter and starting a new one!

Have you ever looked back and reflected on the many different jobs you may have had or for some it may have been just one or two jobs.  Tonight I have been reflecting on the many different jobs I have had and the lasting friendships that have come from those jobs.
So, aside from babysitting and helping my brother out with the newspaper route my first job was working at McDonald's on Lincolnway   Bob Newcomer asked if I would like a job there and as they say the rest is HISTORY!  I loved working there when most teens were out at football games on Friday night's I was working at McDonald's have the BEST time ever!!!!!!  I learned so much from the job!  McDonald's is a whole another post!  Some of the greatest time's were spent with Holly, Sly, P.J., David, Josh, Nick and many others!  I am grateful for that job!
Next up after high school I went to work for United Airline's in reservations!  I was so excited because I could not yet be a flight attendant!  I enjoyed this job but did not do a great job of keeping in contact with friends from there.  I worked there just about a year and quit because I wanted to counsel at Camp Adventure for ONE week!  Ya'll I was crazy!  I quiet a great job to counsel at jr. high church camp but I HAVE NOT REGRETS!!!!
Once I returned from church camp it was on to find a new job!  I do believe I worked between McDonald's again, Wal-Mart and Knollwood Country club as a lifeguard!  This did not last too long as in August of 1998 or 1999 I can't remember exactly I went to work for United Express aka UFS at the airport in South Bend! That was a fun job as well!  I still stay in contact with Donna!  I LOVED working with Donna!  Such a sweet and gentle spirit!  We survived the Y2K and returned in the new millinum!  Delta aka COMAIR had opening's as they were expanding and away I went down a few spaces down at the aiport to the Delta counter!  I worked a mix of shifts over the years there and I am still maintain contact with a few from there such as Larry, Chris, and Mark! I will never forget one Christmas we had an oversold flight by 4-6 and no one was budging!  I remember asking for $150 then $200 in vouchers.  I got one taker!  Come on people we are not going ANYWHERE until the flight was down to just 50 passengers!  I asked my supervisor if I could go up to $250 he said "yes".  I blurted out $350 or $400 and got a whole slew of people!!!  My supervisor then had to honor that and figure out a way to award that amount since $200 was our MAXIMUM we were allowed to give in travel vouchers!  We had our people though!!!! These people made me laugh and laugh and laugh or maybe I made them think I was crazy and I just laughed at myself!  I am not sure which but we had fun!  Then I moved to Iowa where I did many odd jobs. We moved there in October of 2001 and I worked at the small grocery store from 2001 to 2003 just before Lily was born.  Then I worked at a local nursing home 3rd shift and that was not easy with a nursing newborn at home.  So, I stopped that for awhile then in August of 2004 I went to work Mayflower Nursing Home in Grinnell.  I then went on to have Timmy and William!  Then we moved to Fowler, IN where I worked at the local grocery store.  We moved to Shirley where I began working again in October 2012 at Sallie Mae.  I jumped in ready to be back in the work force again!  After many different life events today ended a short time there.  Although I AM BEYOND EXCITED to NEVER have to "bring current" a student loan again!!!! I WILL miss the friendships made!  I pray that the friendships made will continue.  As I told my friends today as we drove home, I will miss the laughter that we all shared but alas I now have a new audience to make laugh and doing something I was wired to do!



Photobucket

1 comment:

Donna said...

Very nice Jennifer! I always enjoyed working with you too..that was one crazy place!