Friday, March 29, 2013

Different ways to worship



How do you worship?  As I have been around many different churches and christian organization I find it fascinating to watch how everyone worships differently.  Now I want to say there is no right or wrong way.  It is what you are comfortable with. 

I grew up in a formal United Methodist church.  Loved the rich tradition of the church.  Very litgurical.  It worked well when I was a kid.  Then my family went to another church where there was drums.  Then to another church where there was dancing, speaking in tongues and it was very vocal.  Then FINALLY when I graduated from high school I could FINALLY go to my own church!  The church that I chose!  I was beyond EXCITED because I knew that I wanted to attend Granger Community Church because that was where Mark Beeson preached at!  I started attending GCC the summer of 97 and LOVED it there!  I was challenged and encouraged to worship God just like you would perhaps cheer on your favorite basketball player at a game!  Well, maybe not loudly screaming but we sang with passion even if you could not sing!  You were encouraged to raise your hands toward Jesus!  I even remember one time when Pastor Mark prayed we did not pray with our heads bowed but with our faces toward heaven.  I get no greater joy then singing with a big smile on my face!  I have many wonderful memories of the time spent at GCC and the many Sunday's spent in prayer praying over chairs of our friends that would be there!  Prayer is such a powerful tool of worship.  Communication between you and the almighty!  From GCC I attend a grand catheridal downtown South Bend. St. Paul's Memorial United Methodist Church.  Few people gathered but the worship was meaningful and at the end of each service we would turn to those across from us and sing the Benediction.  From there I went to Iowa, then back to Indiana where we served in smaller churche's where there was no praise bands.  Just very old hymnals.  I learned some great hymns of the faith during those times.  I am grateful for going back to those songs.  They carried me well. 

What do you put into worship?  Do you go into the sanctuary with reverence and a sense of being ready to meet with Jesus?  To be filled up?  Or do you go into the sanctuary with your cell phone on, catching up on the latest with your family and friends.  As I have attended Madison Park in Anderson, I see the later true.  It bother's me that people really have a hard time focusing on the worship service prepared before them.  YES!  I used to do this at my old church because I was going because I had to not so much because I wanted to.  Now, I go to church because I WANT TO BE THERE!!  I AM HUNGRY FOR WHAT THE LORD HAS PREPARED FOR ME!!! He has something prepared for you.  Will you put your cell phone aside?  Can your conversation's wait to happen outside the sanctuary doors?  There is nothing so important in the world that you can not give God 60-90mins of your time each Sunday. He DIED on the cross FOR YOU!!!! I try to leave my cell phone in my car.  What did you do before cell phones?  You were able to survive! 
As I mentioned I now attend Madison Park Church of God in Anderson and LOVE it!  I love the worship and am getting fed.  I love the different stations that are available each week for you to move to during worship as you feel led.  You can light a candle, pray alone, go to the cross, ask for healing, or take communion.  It's a beautiful thing!  This week TRY to smile while you are singing!  It will bring great joy!!!!!!  How do you worship?

No comments: