Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maundy Thursday

What does Maundy Thursday mean to you?  Is it just another day of the week or is it a day that you stop to prepare your heart for Easter?  In the Christian realm Maundy Thursday is the Thursday before Easter remembering/celebrating the Last Supper.

 Can you imagine what it was like to be there?  Amongst the 12 disciples?  I often wonder what was going through their mind as they sat and ate with JESUS knowing that they were going to betray him and hang him to the cross the next day?  I am not sure if I would be able to sit knowing what was going to happen.  Tonight was the first time in over 10 years that I did not have to be in a church service but was in a church service because I wanted to be.  I was there for healing.  I was there because it was something new.  I was there because Jesus wanted to meet me there.  I went to Madison Park Church of God.  Now I only have been going there since February so a little over a month now and know a handful of people from my class.  On Sunday I had asked if any of them were going to be there and only one said that he was.  So, I found him and sat with him.  He has attend MPC for quiet some time and knew many of the well established folks there.  It was a pitch-in and there was round tables set up all over the atrium.  It was special in a way as you were going to share communion with the people around the table and fellowship with them as if Jesus was sitting amongst you.  It was something so simple but yet so meaningful as there had been a team of folks that had spent time preparing the tables just so and prayed over the tables that people were going to sit at.  My friend Don was sitting at the table with Pastor Lyon and his small group.  It was something quiet special to be but yet so simple.  We fellowshiped and I got acquainted with a few of the well established folks of MPC.  Then it was time to pass the body of Christ and drink from the cup.  He did this for us!  There was a time of quietness and you could move on to the foot washing.  I have never taken part in a foot washing and was very excited to do so.
 The men went to one area while the women went to another.  There were chairs set up in circles.  I sat in a circle that had no one at it.  A lady tried to encourage me to move to another circle and I just said people will come.  Four other ladies came and you put your name in a bowl.  We passed the bowl and you wash the person's feet who you draw.  It was very meaningful.  Such a simple act of washing someone's feet yet so powerful!  A lady names Carol washed my feet.  Such a simple act with such love.  When she was through we hugged.  Then it was my turn to wash Rene's feet.  As I washed her feet I simply wept.  I shared some of my story with her, we hugged and she prayed for me.  So, simple...I encourage you to try this simple act when you are given the opportunity.  You may say my feet are gross or how gross wash the feet of a stranger.  It was strange but the presence of Jesus was with us and it was no longer strange but love.

In John 13:1-17 shares the recount of Jesus washing the Disciple's Feet.

verse 5:"He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"  Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."  "No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet."  Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."  13:5-8  





Photobucket

No comments: